Diocese of Arecibo
Diócesis de Arecibo
|Territory||Half of the northern portion of the island of Puerto Rico|
|Ecclesiastical province||Province of San Juan de Puerto Rico|
|Area||833 sq mi (2,160 km2)|
|(as of 2006)|
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
|Established||30 April 1960 (63 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Catedral de San Felipe Apóstol|
|Bishop||Alberto Arturo Figueroa Morales|
|Metropolitan Archbishop||Roberto González Nieves, O.F.M.|
|Bishops emeritus||Daniel Fernández Torres|
The Diocese of Arecibo (Latin: Dioecesis Arecibensis Spanish: Diócesis de Arecibo) is a Latin Church ecclesiastical territory or diocese of the Catholic Church and consists of half of the northern portion of the island of Puerto Rico, a commonwealth of the United States. The mother church is the Catedral de San Felipe Apostol located in City of Arecibo. Its jurisdiction includes the municipalities of Isabela, Quebradillas, Camuy, Hatillo, Arecibo, Barceloneta, Florida, Manatí, Vega Baja, Vega Alta, Lares, Utuado, Ciales, Morovis, Corozal, and Orocovis.
This section needs expansion with: additional facts of the diocese history 1960–present. You can help by adding to it. (November 2014)
The list of ordinaries (bishops of the diocese) and their terms of service:
- Alfredo Méndez-Gonzalez, C.S.C. (1960–1974)
- Miguel Rodriguez Rodriguez, C.Ss.R. (1974–1990)
- Iñaki Mallona Txertudi, C.P. (1991–2010)
- Daniel Fernández Torres, (2010–2022)
- Alberto Arturo Figueroa Morales, (2022–)
Other priests of this diocese who became bishops
- Enrique Manuel Hernández Rivera, appointed auxiliary bishop of San Juan in 1979
- Alberto Arturo Figueroa Morales (priest here, 1990–1991), appointed auxiliary bishop of San Juan in 2019
San Juan Archdiocese bankruptcy
On 7 September 2018, Judge Edward Godoy ruled that the bankruptcy filed by the Archdiocese of San Juan would also apply to every Catholic diocese in Puerto Rico, including Arecibo, and that all would now have their assets protected under Chapter 11.
- Arecibo, Puerto Rico
- Catholic Church by country
- Catholic Church in the United States
- Ecclesiastical Province of San Juan de Puerto Rico
- Global organisation of the Catholic Church
- List of Roman Catholic archdioceses (by country and continent)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (alphabetical) (including archdioceses)
- List of Roman Catholic dioceses (structured view) (including archdioceses)
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- Diocese of Arecibo. Accessed 23 March 2019.
- Diocesis de Ponce. Accessed 12 July 2021.
- "El papa Francisco destituye al obispo de la diócesis de Arecibo" [Pope Francis dismisses the bishop of the Diocese of Arecibo]. El Nuevo Dia (in Spanish). 9 March 2022. ISSN 1043-7614. Archived from the original on 9 March 2022. Retrieved 9 March 2022.
- "Federal judge decides that bankruptcy filing applies to all of Puerto Rico's Roman Catholic churches". Pasquines. 27 September 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2021.
- "Judge: Bankruptcy applies to all Puerto Rico Catholic churches". Caribbean Business. 7 September 2018.
- Diócesis de Arecibo (Official Site in Spanish)
- Roman Catholic Diocesis of Arecibo GCatholic.org website